Leader of the Packing
I’ve been hearing and reading about many of you planning and taking fun and fabulous trips this summer. I hope it’s not too late, but I thought I’d give some packing tips for today’s “Tuesday’s Tip” blog. Although I am notorious for over-packing, almost always check a bag, and boast a piece of luggage called “Big Momma,” I know what works and what doesn’t, even though I don’t always practice what I preach! Enjoy and enjoy your travels!
- When packing your suitcase, I recommend rolling your clothes, rather than folding them. This prevents creases and also allows for extra space as rolled clothing takes up less space than folded items. Some people actually pile many items of clothes on top of each other and make one big roll.
- Those plastic shower caps that you’ve previously gotten at hotels make great shoe covers, as do plastic grocery bags. Covering your shoes up also protects adjacent clothing from the soiled soles of those shoes.
- Place a plastic bag on top of everything once you’re done packing. This will both protect inside items from possible moisture and can serve as a laundry bag later.
- In my carry-on bag (and yes, I always have a carry-on!) I like to put small toiletries, underwear, and a small nightgown just in case of lay-overs or if your checked bags get lost. These are in addition to my standard carry-on fare of phone charger, jewelry, a wrap or scarf, headphones, snacks, and reading materials.
- I try to stick to a simple color scheme of black, white, gray, and khaki and throw in pops of color with scarves and jewelry. Throwing in one brown outfit, which would require brown shoes in a case full of black items, just doesn’t make sense.
- Stick to the “3 tops for every bottoms” rule. Bottoms (skirts, pants, etc.) tend to take up more room than tops. I also love leggings when packing as they are way more light weight than pants, come in all lengths, and can easily go from casual to dressy with the simple change of a top, added accessories, and appropriate shoes.
- As for shoes, the general consensus is three pair: flats, dress, and sneakers. If necessary, take a pair of boots as well. I never, ever conform to this rule though and instead tend to fill the entire bottom of my suitcase with shoes!
- For years I have used a jelly roll for my necklaces, but a new tip I’ve heard about is threading necklaces through straws so they don’t get tangled. Have you tried this? Did it work well?
- I love my hanging toiletries carrier that rolls up small. When I get to my destination, I simply unroll it and hang it up in the bathroom. I load it with trial sizes of everything from deodorant to lotions to anti-cling clothes spray.
- I have a favorite small item that I don’t even know the name for, but it folds out flat then snaps together to make a tray. I use it to place my jewelry in at the end of the day, as well as room keys, money, etc. If for some reason I don’t have it with me, I like to use one of the glasses in the hotel room for this.
Do you have any tried and true packing tips that you would like to share? Please do! One can never have too many ideas on how to pack better and smarter!