Rules to Dress By
Fashion is one of my favorite past-times, but, even if it’s not one of yours, there are some tried and true “rules to dress by” that we should all follow, regardless of budget or style. They are simple and they are fool-proof.
Here are my top 10 “Rules to Dress By:”
- Choose trends wisely and don’t overspend on them. Even though something is the trend of the moment, decide if it really flatters your figure and if it’s age appropriate. Also, don’t spend a fortune on something flashy or hip. Instead, spend your money on classic pieces that flawlessly transfer from one season to the next.
- Wear interesting shoes. This is probably my favorite one because, as I like to say, “shoes always fit.” Fun or stylish footwear is a great way to add spunk to your look and take on a trend that may be short-lived.
- Layer on jewelry. Today the bigger the better and your statement necklace can’t be big enough. But, never play up more than two areas at a time (ring and earrings, earrings and necklace, bracelets and necklace, etc.) and find an element that ties all your pieces together.
- If you’re not sure of your style or the dress code, stick to a neutral palette of black, tan, gray or ivory and add a splash of color with fun earrings or a playful scarf.
- Spend your money on shoes and bags but shop for clothes on sale.
- Don’t forget about tailoring. Minor adjustments can make the world of difference in how something looks on you but only spend money on pieces you plan to wear often and for an extended amount of time.
- Use fashion to highlight and camouflage your body. Accentuate what you love and downplay what you don’t like.
- Just because it fits doesn’t mean it looks good. Think style, not size.
- Sophisticated touches never go out of style. Think pearls, a classic clutch, pointy toed heels, or a bold lip.
- Casual doesn’t mean sloppy and formal doesn’t mean slutty.
Do you have any “rules to dress by” that you can share? I’d love to hear them!
If it doesn’t fit — don’t buy it! How long does it take your boobs to shrink so the shirt button on breast gapes, pulls and give birds-eye view of your “SKIN”!